Let´s go to adverbs as quickly as possible.

Ok, so we have talked about the adjectives and how to teach the adjectives, next what I want to do is to take a look into adverbs which can give us a really hard time when dealing with them.

I am taking a writing course at canvas.net and it was really helpful to learn so much things about how to use adverbs; therefore, I totally recommend this kind of free online courses.

Anyhow, Adverbs are different from adjectives because the first ones modify verbs instead of nouns. let´s check it:

Are these in-red words modifying a noun or a verb?

1. I read a book quickly

2. I read a big book

3. She runs slowly

4. She is a slow runner

The verbs from the sentences one and three are been modified by the words "quickly" and "slowly"; then, they are adverbs. the words "slow" and "big" are qualifying the book and the girl; therefore, they are adjectives.

There are adverbs of manner which tell us how something is/will be/was done. oftenly they end up with a -ly at the end like in:



    The old man walked slowly
    The detective carefully gathered the evidence.
    She moved slowly and spoke quietly.                        *(examples taken from shertonenglish.com)

And we also have some frequency adverbs which allow us to know how often some action is/will be/was performed. 



I occasionally go to church; even though, I always say I´ll never missed another mass.

Try to do it. 

   Use adverbs.

       It is painless.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas to teach adjectives!

I'm feeling like leaving.

Uncertainty. Part 1