Reflective text

As I had the opportunity to teach English to ninth graders for a month, and because of the very mind opener advises I received from the principal of that school, I began to look for the way to become an English teacher. It certainly wasn`t my first option when thinking about economical interests; but, it was the best option when having to select a job I enjoy doing. My first thoughts were that I needed a job where I could continue learning, feeling successful and having stability (economically and autonomously talking) while having fun in my workplace.

I have always seen my teaching as dynamic, enjoyable and rigorous but I have detected a lack of qualities in my teaching (e.g. empathy and creativity, among others) in which I´m working now. Sometimes I feel minored by those education program students who have more experience, knowledge and clearer dispositions than I do, but I continue hoping for it to be a matter of age, commitment, learning, teaching experience and teaching knowledge, and leadership skills.

As an in-service teacher, I am feeling a huge gap between what I know about young learners education (in this case: preschoolers and first graders) and the way classes have been carried out. I have felt frustrated with these learners more than once and that feeling is what I hate about teaching. Other thing I have learnt about my profession is the big amount of responsibility we take from mistakes done by the administrators; things that a teacher wouldn`t accept or do, are accepted or done by those who know nothing about teaching just because ambitious is heavier.

At this moment, I see myself as a reflective teacher. I would love to become a transformative intellectual teacher but I still lack the experience and knowledge to do so. I love when learners get involved in sociopolitical topics; it is really challenging to have that kind of topics and even more to be a problem-posing teacher and not a teacher with destructive critics about everything. A teacher has many roles: guide, councilor, professor, researcher, designer, evaluator, etc… and all of this roles have a specific purpose. The main interest of a teacher is to know the purpose of everything he/she carries out inside and outside school and classroom. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas to teach adjectives!

I'm feeling like leaving.

Uncertainty. Part 1